5-year-old's dog shot and killed outside Delco home
CHESTER TWP., Pa. - January 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Delaware County are searching for the culprits who shot and killed a beloved family pet.
5-year-old Shirley Sims loved her Saint Bernard, Clara.
"I miss Clara a lot," Shirley said.
It was just after 9:00 p.m. Thursday when police say someone walked into the Sims' family backyard, unclipped the dog, and shot her in the head multiple times in an alley behind the house.
"By the time we ran outside I saw her body lying down in the alleyway," Clara's owner Cheryl Sims said.
Police found a .9MM shell casing at the scene. Neighbors reported seeing two people running away.
Police tell Action News they are following up on a few solid leads.
"My daughter was just heartbroken over it. She was just screaming and crying," Cheryl said.
"I don't like when people shoot Clara," Shirley said.
Now Cheryl is trying to explain to Shirley what happened.
"This was an intentional, cruel, vicious act to an animal," Cheryl said.
Chester police are asking anyone with information to give them a call.
pennsylvania, delaware county, animal abuse, local/state
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 2 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 1 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ