5-year-old's dog shot and killed outside Delco home
CHESTER TWP., Pa. - January 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Delaware County are searching for the culprits who shot and killed a beloved family pet.
5-year-old Shirley Sims loved her Saint Bernard, Clara.
"I miss Clara a lot," Shirley said.
It was just after 9:00 p.m. Thursday when police say someone walked into the Sims' family backyard, unclipped the dog, and shot her in the head multiple times in an alley behind the house.
"By the time we ran outside I saw her body lying down in the alleyway," Clara's owner Cheryl Sims said.
Police found a .9MM shell casing at the scene. Neighbors reported seeing two people running away.
Police tell Action News they are following up on a few solid leads.
"My daughter was just heartbroken over it. She was just screaming and crying," Cheryl said.
"I don't like when people shoot Clara," Shirley said.
Now Cheryl is trying to explain to Shirley what happened.
"This was an intentional, cruel, vicious act to an animal," Cheryl said.
Chester police are asking anyone with information to give them a call.
pennsylvania, delaware county, animal abuse, local/state
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 53 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom 21 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine