Courier robbed of $25K in NE Philadelphia
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - January 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- An armed bandit held up a courier in Northeast Philadelphia and got away with $25,000 Monday night.
The victim says he made his last cash pickup from the MetroPCS on the 7200 block of Revere Street at around 6:00 p.m.
Though the area was bustling at that time, the armed robber pounced.
"Right after he picked up money at this particular store, his last pickup of the day, he was, point-of-gun, forced into his vehicle and made to drive three blocks," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.
The bandit took the courier's cell phone, keys, and $25,000 in cash, then fled on foot.
"$25,000 is a lot of money for a robbery of this type; even with a bank robbery, you normally never get away with $25,000 cash," Small said.
The courier was uninjured.
It appears the armed robber was working alone. Police only have a vague description of him.
They are hoping surveillance from the cell phone store will provide a tip and lead to his capture.
"We have witnesses. We also have some private surveillance cameras in the area and Northeast Detectives is processing the scene. They are going to look at those cameras and hopefully they recorded what happened," Small said.
The suspect will be facing charges including armed robbery, kidnapping and carjacking.
philadelphia, robbery, northeast philadelphia, carjacking, kidnapping, local/state, chad pradelli
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 10 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 6 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 8 min ago
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 4 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures