Body of missing teen found in New Jersey lake
MT. OLIVE, N.J. - January 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- The body of one of two teenage boys believed to have fallen through the ice at a northern New Jersey lake has been recovered.
A State Police spokesman says divers discovered the body Tuesday afternoon in Budd Lake in Mount Olive Township.
The effort had switched from a search to a recovery mission earlier in the day.
Search teams continue to search for the second teen.
Police received reports of screams for help coming from the lake around 6:20 p.m. Monday.
Acting Morris County Prosecutor Fredric Knapp said two residents went out on a boat, but failed to find anyone.
Rescuers broke through more than 100 feet of ice and a state police helicopter illuminated the scene before the search was called off Monday night.
Police have not released the identity of the teenagers but rescue workers are in touch with their parents.
Several people in the area said they were on the lake over the weekend and it seemed the ice was thick enough to support them.
teens, rescue, new jersey, local/state
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 9 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 9 min ago
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 18 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Vatican insists that no papal exorcism took place
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
9 min ago