Body of missing teen found in New Jersey lake
MT. OLIVE, N.J. - January 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- The body of one of two teenage boys believed to have fallen through the ice at a northern New Jersey lake has been recovered.
A State Police spokesman says divers discovered the body Tuesday afternoon in Budd Lake in Mount Olive Township.
The effort had switched from a search to a recovery mission earlier in the day.
Search teams continue to search for the second teen.
Police received reports of screams for help coming from the lake around 6:20 p.m. Monday.
Acting Morris County Prosecutor Fredric Knapp said two residents went out on a boat, but failed to find anyone.
Rescuers broke through more than 100 feet of ice and a state police helicopter illuminated the scene before the search was called off Monday night.
Police have not released the identity of the teenagers but rescue workers are in touch with their parents.
Several people in the area said they were on the lake over the weekend and it seemed the ice was thick enough to support them.
teens, rescue, new jersey, local/state
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 12 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 18 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 17 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 24 min ago
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in...
4 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
17 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos