Body of missing teen found in New Jersey lake
MT. OLIVE, N.J. - January 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- The body of one of two teenage boys believed to have fallen through the ice at a northern New Jersey lake has been recovered.
A State Police spokesman says divers discovered the body Tuesday afternoon in Budd Lake in Mount Olive Township.
The effort had switched from a search to a recovery mission earlier in the day.
Search teams continue to search for the second teen.
Police received reports of screams for help coming from the lake around 6:20 p.m. Monday.
Acting Morris County Prosecutor Fredric Knapp said two residents went out on a boat, but failed to find anyone.
Rescuers broke through more than 100 feet of ice and a state police helicopter illuminated the scene before the search was called off Monday night.
Police have not released the identity of the teenagers but rescue workers are in touch with their parents.
Several people in the area said they were on the lake over the weekend and it seemed the ice was thick enough to support them.
teens, rescue, new jersey, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 43 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 24 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
43 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
24 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos