4 jurors picked in Philly clergy sex-abuse trial
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - January 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Jury selection continues in the trial of a Roman Catholic priest and a former Catholic school teacher accused of raping a former altar boy.
Four jurors were selected Monday on the first day of jury selection in the case against the Rev. Charles Engelhardt and Bernard Shero. The case had been spun off from last year's high-profile trial of a church official charged with helping the Philadelphia archdiocese cover up abuse complaints.
The 65-year-old Engelhardt and the 49-year-old Shero are charged with sexually assaulting an altar boy in the late 1990s. Both have pleaded not guilty.
Their lawyers wanted them tried separately from the defendants in last year's case. The 61-year-old Rev. William Lynn is appealing his landmark conviction in that case, while serving a three- to six-year prison term.
trial, child abuse, children, philadelphia, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot while sleeping in South Philadelphia 32 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 3 min ago
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos