4 jurors picked in Philly clergy sex-abuse trial
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - January 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Jury selection continues in the trial of a Roman Catholic priest and a former Catholic school teacher accused of raping a former altar boy.
Four jurors were selected Monday on the first day of jury selection in the case against the Rev. Charles Engelhardt and Bernard Shero. The case had been spun off from last year's high-profile trial of a church official charged with helping the Philadelphia archdiocese cover up abuse complaints.
The 65-year-old Engelhardt and the 49-year-old Shero are charged with sexually assaulting an altar boy in the late 1990s. Both have pleaded not guilty.
Their lawyers wanted them tried separately from the defendants in last year's case. The 61-year-old Rev. William Lynn is appealing his landmark conviction in that case, while serving a three- to six-year prison term.
trial, child abuse, children, philadelphia, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Several cars vandalized in South Philadelphia 6 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish