Philly man blames late firefighter father in deadly beating
PHILADELPHIA - January 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- The attorney for a Philadelphia man says his client's late father is to blame for a pedestrian's April 2010 death.
Opening statements began Tuesday in the murder trial of 23-year-old Gerard Shaffer Jr.
Fifty-four-year-old Mark Wallace died after what began as a verbal altercation while he crossed the street in front of an SUV driven by the defendant's father, Gerard Shaffer Sr.
Police said both Shaffers got out, the father shoving Wallace and the son throwing Wallace to the ground, causing fatal head trauma.
Shaffer's father was charged but died of a heart attack in 2011.
Defense attorney Coley Reynolds said his client was trying to stop the fight.
Assistant District Attorney Peter Lim said the defendant "wanted to be a tough guy" like his father, a former firefighter.
philadelphia, homicide, beating, road rage, local/state
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 22 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 33 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 30 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 29 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 46 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 20 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
46 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
22 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with...
33 min ago