Philly man blames late firefighter father in deadly beating
PHILADELPHIA - January 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- The attorney for a Philadelphia man says his client's late father is to blame for a pedestrian's April 2010 death.
Opening statements began Tuesday in the murder trial of 23-year-old Gerard Shaffer Jr.
Fifty-four-year-old Mark Wallace died after what began as a verbal altercation while he crossed the street in front of an SUV driven by the defendant's father, Gerard Shaffer Sr.
Police said both Shaffers got out, the father shoving Wallace and the son throwing Wallace to the ground, causing fatal head trauma.
Shaffer's father was charged but died of a heart attack in 2011.
Defense attorney Coley Reynolds said his client was trying to stop the fight.
Assistant District Attorney Peter Lim said the defendant "wanted to be a tough guy" like his father, a former firefighter.
philadelphia, homicide, beating, road rage, local/state
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church 11 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted