Teacher accused of having sex with 15-year-old student
SMYRNA, Del. - January 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Delaware say a teacher at Smyrna High School had a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old student.
37-year-old Donovan J. Garvin was arrested at his home on the 600 block of Widener Lane in Smyrna. He is charged with ten 1st degree counts of sexual abuse of a child by a person of trust and one count of sexual solicitation of a child under the age of 18 to engage in a prohibited act.
According to court paperwork, Donovan Garvin was a math teacher at Smyrna High School. He and a 15-year-old female student began having an "intimate relationship" toward the end of her 9th grade year, during which he was her teacher.
Their encounters allegedly took place between May 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012 in his classroom and in the parking lot of an undisclosed residence.
Smyrna Police were contacted by school administrators after a friend of the 15-year-old student told school leaders that she began getting "inappropriate messages" from Garvin after the 15-year-old used her cell phone to log onto Twitter and did not log off.
Garvin has been committed to the James T. Vaughn Jr. Correctional center in default of a $780,000 secured bond.
delaware, school, child sex assault, local/state
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Woman's body found between parked cars in W. Phila. 22 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged 32 min ago
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker 58 min ago
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more