Teacher accused of having sex with 15-year-old student
SMYRNA, Del. - January 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Delaware say a teacher at Smyrna High School had a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old student.
37-year-old Donovan J. Garvin was arrested at his home on the 600 block of Widener Lane in Smyrna. He is charged with ten 1st degree counts of sexual abuse of a child by a person of trust and one count of sexual solicitation of a child under the age of 18 to engage in a prohibited act.
According to court paperwork, Donovan Garvin was a math teacher at Smyrna High School. He and a 15-year-old female student began having an "intimate relationship" toward the end of her 9th grade year, during which he was her teacher.
Their encounters allegedly took place between May 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012 in his classroom and in the parking lot of an undisclosed residence.
Smyrna Police were contacted by school administrators after a friend of the 15-year-old student told school leaders that she began getting "inappropriate messages" from Garvin after the 15-year-old used her cell phone to log onto Twitter and did not log off.
Garvin has been committed to the James T. Vaughn Jr. Correctional center in default of a $780,000 secured bond.
delaware, school, child sex assault, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy 9 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 5 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 5 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
9 min ago