1-year-old critical with broken bones; father charged
COATESVILLE, Pa. - January 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 1-year-old child is in critical condition after suffering a fractured skull and two broken arms, and police say the baby's father is to blame.
30-year-old Juan J. Silva-Vasquez is charged with Aggravated assault, Simple assault and Endangering the Welfare of Children.
It was 4:26 p.m. Monday when Westtown East Goshen Police responded to the YMCA, located on Airport Road in East Goshen Township for a report of an unresponsive child.
According to police, the child's mother had dropped the baby off at the YMCA's daycare while she went to work.
The baby was transported to A.I. Dupont Hospital in Delaware where it was discovered that she had suffered a fractured right arm, a fractured left forearm, two skull fractures, and other related injuries. She is currently listed in critical condition in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
Coatesville Police were notified and responded to the family's home, where after an investigation, which included interviews and a search of the residence, they arrested the baby's father, Juan Silva-Vasquez.
Investigators say Silva-Vasquez confessed to dropping the victim on a living room end table, and then threw the child on the bed, located in his bedroom.
chester county, pennsylvania, child abuse, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 14 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 45 min ago
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water 7 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 5 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg 31 min ago
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak 38 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 46 min ago
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
14 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA...
45 min ago
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated...
7 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
8 min ago