1-year-old critical with broken bones; father charged
COATESVILLE, Pa. - January 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 1-year-old child is in critical condition after suffering a fractured skull and two broken arms, and police say the baby's father is to blame.
30-year-old Juan J. Silva-Vasquez is charged with Aggravated assault, Simple assault and Endangering the Welfare of Children.
It was 4:26 p.m. Monday when Westtown East Goshen Police responded to the YMCA, located on Airport Road in East Goshen Township for a report of an unresponsive child.
According to police, the child's mother had dropped the baby off at the YMCA's daycare while she went to work.
The baby was transported to A.I. Dupont Hospital in Delaware where it was discovered that she had suffered a fractured right arm, a fractured left forearm, two skull fractures, and other related injuries. She is currently listed in critical condition in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
Coatesville Police were notified and responded to the family's home, where after an investigation, which included interviews and a search of the residence, they arrested the baby's father, Juan Silva-Vasquez.
Investigators say Silva-Vasquez confessed to dropping the victim on a living room end table, and then threw the child on the bed, located in his bedroom.
chester county, pennsylvania, child abuse, local/state
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay 21 min ago
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast 40 min ago
- US Airways, American merger complete 23 min ago
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Obama heading to South Africa
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot 3 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being...
3 min ago