Lawyer: Shooting by NJ officer 'terrible accident'
DEPTFORD, N.J. (AP) - January 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- A lawyer says a shooting involving a New Jersey police officer was a "terrible accident" that left the officer's friend in critical condition.
Lawyer John Eastlack declined to elaborate on details of the Saturday shooting when he spoke with the South Jersey Times.
Eastlack's client, Deptford Police Patrolman James Stuart, is charged with two counts of aggravated assault and accused of shooting 27-year-ol David Compton in the head.
Authorities have not said whether the gun involved was Stuart's service weapon.
Eastlack says Stuart is praying for his friend's recovery.
Stuart is free on $10,000 bail and has been suspended from the police force.
shooting, police, new jersey, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ