Tests planned for woman accused of killing 2 in AC
MAYS LANDING, N.J. (AP) - January 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia woman charged with killing two Canadian tourists in Atlantic City will undergo psychiatric tests.
44-year-old Antoinette Pelzer, who has often been homeless and has struggled with mental illness, appeared in court for an arraignment Wednesday.
Authorities say Pelzer stabbed and killed 47-year-old Alice Mei See Leung and her 80-year-old mother, Po Lin Wan, last May. Both women were from the Scarborough section of Toronto.
Public defender Holly Bitters told The Press of Atlantic City that Pelzer has previously been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Bitters told a judge that the woman would get psychiatric testing before the next hearing in the case.
Pelzer is being held on $1.5 million bail.
atlantic city, stabbing, new jersey, local/state
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today 51 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found 36 min ago
- Sinkhole opens up on North Liberties street 3 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Penn Medical School sued over researcher's death
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's