Toms River lodge member hits robber with bottle
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - January 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Ocean County are searching for a man who robbed a Toms River lodge late Tuesday night.
The incident took place at the Elks Lodge at 600 Washington Street just before midnight.
Police say a 70-year-old male bartender and a 66-year-old female member of the lodge were closing up for the night when the armed male suspect entered.
The man, armed with an automatic handgun, demanded money and got into a brief struggle with the bartender, but broke free after knocking over a stool.
During the struggle, police say, the 66-year-old female hit the suspect with a large bottle of alcohol.
Neither of the victims received injuries.
The suspect took over $1,000 before fleeing on foot to the rear of the lodge towards Clifton Avenue.
The suspect is described as a white male, 6' 1, heavy build, with dark curly hair. He was wearing a dark ¾ blue parka, a dark skull cap and had a blue and white scarf covering his head.
Anyone with information can contact Detective Bureau Captain Bruce Burgess at 732- 349-0150 ext. 1200.
new jersey, ocean county, robbery, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos