Toms River lodge member hits robber with bottle
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - January 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Ocean County are searching for a man who robbed a Toms River lodge late Tuesday night.
The incident took place at the Elks Lodge at 600 Washington Street just before midnight.
Police say a 70-year-old male bartender and a 66-year-old female member of the lodge were closing up for the night when the armed male suspect entered.
The man, armed with an automatic handgun, demanded money and got into a brief struggle with the bartender, but broke free after knocking over a stool.
During the struggle, police say, the 66-year-old female hit the suspect with a large bottle of alcohol.
Neither of the victims received injuries.
The suspect took over $1,000 before fleeing on foot to the rear of the lodge towards Clifton Avenue.
The suspect is described as a white male, 6' 1, heavy build, with dark curly hair. He was wearing a dark ¾ blue parka, a dark skull cap and had a blue and white scarf covering his head.
Anyone with information can contact Detective Bureau Captain Bruce Burgess at 732- 349-0150 ext. 1200.
new jersey, ocean county, robbery, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 7 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire 50 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting 20 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
7 min ago