Hospital: Infant dies from flu in Lehigh County
SALISBURY TWP., Pa. - January 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- An infant has reportedly died due to the flu in Lehigh County.
"I can tell you there is a presumed influenza-related death," said Terry Burger, R.N. "We are working to get that confirmation."
Burger is the infection control director for the Lehigh Valley Health Network. The infant's death occurred here last weekend.
Citing privacy issues, Burger said the hospital cannot release if the child had been vaccinated. Nor can it say if he or she had any chronic underlying health problems that might have increased risk.
With the recent uptick in possible flu cases crowding emergency rooms, Lehigh Valley opened a tent, a mobile emergency room, on Monday.
Since then is has seen about 20 patients a day with mild flu symptoms. Most are given a prescription for Tamiflu and sent home.
Authorities continue to urge people get a flu vaccination. It takes about 2 weeks for it to become effective, and effectiveness seems varies from person to person.
Nothing is perfect.
"The problem is, the vaccine is 70 to 90 percent effective in most people and based on your age and underlying illnesses," said Burger. "It is not 100 percent effective for everyone."
Among the issues that can compromise a vaccine are: medications, such as those used in chemotherapy; and age, because the very old and very young can face elevated risks.
Still, the thinking is that even partial protection from a vaccine is better than no protection at all.
"Pretty much the indication is, if you get the vaccination, hopefully your disease will not be as severe and you won't have as many complications," said Burger.
flu, health care, philadelphia, lehigh county, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 4 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apts. 50 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping 28 min ago
- Fire forces several residents from Logan...
50 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
4 min ago
- Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
28 min ago