Former deacon charged in rape of teen
BENSALEM, Pa. - January 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Pentecostal deacon is charged with the rape of a parishioner when the girl was just 13-years-old.
34-year-old Humberto Cervantes, of the 100 block of Seltzer Avenue in Coatesville, is charged with rape and related offenses.
The Bensalem Police Special Victims Unit began their investigation in December 2012 when the victim reported that she had been raped by Cervantes at a Bensalem Motel in 2011.
According to the victim, Cervantes was a deacon at a Pentecostal Church in Trenton, New Jersey when he befriended her. They allegedly met several times in Bensalem, going to several parks and talked about church, life and family.
On the final visit, the victim says instead of going to a park, Cervantes took her to a Bensalem motel where she was raped.
The family moved churches, from Trenton to Philadelphia, but Cervantes allegedly followed them. Officials at the new church said Cervantes had only been going there for a month and they had no idea what was going on.
In December, the girl told her parents what was going on.
"She was very brave and very strong. We give her a lot of credit for having the courage to talk to her family," said. Andrew Aninsman of Bensalem Police.
Authorities attempted to arrest Cervantes at his workplace in Malvern, but he fled the scene. Police were able to track him down and eventually he voluntarily returned to his workplace and was taken into custody without incident.
Police say they were able to catch Cervantes because the girl's parents took the right steps.
"Her dad knew something wasn't right and her dad took the appropriate steps and her dad supported her," said Sgt.Aninsman.
Cervantes is currently being held in lieu of $1 million bail.
bensalem, bucks county, rape, child sex assault, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ