Former deacon charged in rape of teen
BENSALEM, Pa. - January 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Pentecostal deacon is charged with the rape of a parishioner when the girl was just 13-years-old.
34-year-old Humberto Cervantes, of the 100 block of Seltzer Avenue in Coatesville, is charged with rape and related offenses.
The Bensalem Police Special Victims Unit began their investigation in December 2012 when the victim reported that she had been raped by Cervantes at a Bensalem Motel in 2011.
According to the victim, Cervantes was a deacon at a Pentecostal Church in Trenton, New Jersey when he befriended her. They allegedly met several times in Bensalem, going to several parks and talked about church, life and family.
On the final visit, the victim says instead of going to a park, Cervantes took her to a Bensalem motel where she was raped.
The family moved churches, from Trenton to Philadelphia, but Cervantes allegedly followed them. Officials at the new church said Cervantes had only been going there for a month and they had no idea what was going on.
In December, the girl told her parents what was going on.
"She was very brave and very strong. We give her a lot of credit for having the courage to talk to her family," said. Andrew Aninsman of Bensalem Police.
Authorities attempted to arrest Cervantes at his workplace in Malvern, but he fled the scene. Police were able to track him down and eventually he voluntarily returned to his workplace and was taken into custody without incident.
Police say they were able to catch Cervantes because the girl's parents took the right steps.
"Her dad knew something wasn't right and her dad took the appropriate steps and her dad supported her," said Sgt.Aninsman.
Cervantes is currently being held in lieu of $1 million bail.
bensalem, bucks county, rape, child sex assault, local/state
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies