Man lying in bed shot with assault rifle
WYNNEFIELD - January 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man lying in bed was shot when someone opened fire with an assault rifle at a playground across the street from his home.
It happened around 2:30 Friday morning near 52nd and Euclid streets in the city's Wynnefield section.
22-year-old Oliver Robinson was asleep in his bed when a bullet ripped through the wall right over his head, striking him in the shoulder.
"As soon as he shot then I got hit. I bounced up and I actually ran downstairs, opened the door, looked outside and saw that it wasn't anybody there," said Robinson.
He was treated and released from the hospital.
Al Lanier was downstairs, also his bed, when he heard the gunfire. He dropped to the ground as gunshots tore through his walls.
"That could have been me. I'm glad I wasn't standing up when this happened because there are some big holes right there. I'm just happy to be alive," said Lanier.
Lanier pointed to the holes, where they pierced his wall and kept going. He prayed he wouldn't be hit.
"I'm just thinking God protect me. Just protect me from this. Bullet don't have anybody's names on them," said Lanier.
Police say at least 17 shots were fired from the playground across the street.
"Based on ballistic evidence, those 17 shell casings are from an AR-15 assault rifle," said Chief Inspector Scott Small.
Bullets also hit a boarding home where there were 10 adults inside and the home next door where there were five adults.
"It sounded more like bombs than rifle fire. I didn't know it went into the homes, but I thought I would see plenty of bodies lying out here," said Brenda Williams, resident.
Frederick Fmaugh's mother was inside one of those homes. He expressed outrage at the carelessness with which this deadly weapon was fired.
"You don't even know what you're shooting at. You're shooting at people - no you're not even shooting at people, you're shooting at houses," said Fmaugh.
No arrests have been made and authorities are still investigating whether the suspect fired randomly or if those homes were targeted.
philadelphia, wynnefield, shooting, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 6 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 42 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 41 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
42 min ago