Former cop sentenced for NJ hit-and-run
CAMDEN, N.J. - January 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A judge has sentenced a former Camden County police officer for leaving the scene of a hit-and-run crash last August.
34-year-old Kelly Gunderson was a Washington Township officer at the time.
She hit 27-year-old Vance Banks with her car and didn't report the crash until 14 hours later.
Banks suffered serious injuries, had to learn to walk again, and is still recovering from his injuries.
Gunderson talked directly to Banks and his family in court Friday.
"Mr. Banks, I do want to say, 'Thank you' for your forgiving attitude. That's all I have, thank you. Thank you for forgiving me," she said.
Gunderson was sentenced to five years of probation.
She also has to perform 250 hours of community service with patients of brain injuries.
new jersey, accident, hit and run, local/state
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 6 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse 50 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff 29 min ago
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began 33 min ago
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad