Former cop sentenced for NJ hit-and-run
CAMDEN, N.J. - January 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A judge has sentenced a former Camden County police officer for leaving the scene of a hit-and-run crash last August.
34-year-old Kelly Gunderson was a Washington Township officer at the time.
She hit 27-year-old Vance Banks with her car and didn't report the crash until 14 hours later.
Banks suffered serious injuries, had to learn to walk again, and is still recovering from his injuries.
Gunderson talked directly to Banks and his family in court Friday.
"Mr. Banks, I do want to say, 'Thank you' for your forgiving attitude. That's all I have, thank you. Thank you for forgiving me," she said.
Gunderson was sentenced to five years of probation.
She also has to perform 250 hours of community service with patients of brain injuries.
new jersey, accident, hit and run, local/state
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park 15 min ago
- Another Beauty
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Shots fired at man sitting on steps in Point Breeze 26 min ago
- Water main break buckles road in South Philly 42 min ago
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
15 min ago