Company donates $2,500 to DeSean Jackson foundation
PHILADELPHA - January 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Northeast Philadelphia company has stepped up to support an employee who's battling cancer, and in doing so, is helping one of the city's best known professional athletes.
Philadelphia Eagles player DeSean Jackson received a belated Christmas gift of $2,500 Friday night.
Employees at Penn Power Group in Northeast Philadelphia are using their inner-office Pollyanna to support Jackson's pancreatic cancer foundation while also supporting their co-worker of 23 years, Tom Seagraves. He was diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer in August.
"There's just not enough awareness about pancreatic cancer out there," said Dawn Seagraves.
Raising awareness is Tom wife Dawn's mission. She says, for several months, doctors misdiagnosed her husband's cancer as chronic back pain.
"I just happened to Google back pain that wasn't alleviated by anything and the result came up pancreatic cancer," said Dawn.
It has been a long and difficult 5 months of intense treatment.
"I just talked to my doctors, and they are talking about full chemo for another two months," said Tom Seagraves.
DeSean Jackson understands and respects Seagraves' battle.
The football star lost his father to pancreatic cancer in 2009 after only 5 months of treatment.
"Just looking at him is really inspiring, because I can see him fighting. I can see that same look my dad had," said DeSean Jackson.
Inspired by his father's battle, Jackson stepped up to the frontlines and launched his cancer research foundation. It has also given him opportunities to bond with the community.
"Her son just made fun of me for my autograph, so I said sign on me. So Joshua added onto my tattoos," said Jackson.
Beyond the check presentation, Jackson and the Seagraves say they plan to partner with one another on future projects and help spread the word about pancreatic cancer.
cancer, desean jackson, philadelphia, local/state, jennifer joyce
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 9 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos