Teen injured by 2 men in West Phila. home invasion
PHILADELPHIA - January 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are still looking for two armed men accused of ransacking a family's home and terrorizing their teen son.
The 16-year-old boy is in a secure location Saturday night recovering from a head injury after that life threatening home invasion.
Southwest detectives are still looking for suspects while the teen's family is raising a lot of security concerns when it comes to their building.
Inside Admiral Court Apartments the victim's father, who does not want to be identified, described how two armed men forced their way inside his home and tied up his 16-year-old son.
Investigators say around 4:30 p.m. Friday, the boy was home alone on the 200 block of South 48th Street in West Philadelphia when the men barged in and pistol whipped him.
"I just can't believe someone would actually do that to an innocent boy who doesn't even speak to anyone or talk to anyone," the victim's sister said.
The teenager's sister who didn't want to show her face out of fear says the gunmen used a belt to tie up her brother.
They ransacked the apartment of the Cambodian-American family before finding a safe with a couple of thousand dollars and jewelry inside.
The family owns a business nearby.
"I think we were basically targeted because of the color of our skin; being Asian," she said.
In a strange move, police say the home invaders placed a large and heavy couch on top of the teen to keep him from running off.
Neighbors were surprised about the violent incident because of the key card access needed to get into the building.
"I'm definitely going to keep my precautions by locking my front door and this door; making sure it's locked and just up my security really," said Desmond Hinkle.
But the victim's family says this is the 4th break-in they've had in about two years.
In fact, every night the boy's father lodges a large piece of wood between the door and wall because they don't feel safe.
"It's mostly been the management here as well. This building, this has been going on for a while," she said.
Action News has made attempts to contact the property manager SBG Management of Abington for comment about security, but no one could be reached outside of normal business hours.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Southwest Detectives Division of the Philadelphia Police.
home invasion, west philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted local schools 40 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River 1 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!