Amber Alert notification hits mobile phones
PHILADELPHIA - January 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Those living in the 6abc viewing area received notice of an Amber Alert through 6abc.com and the government's own alert system.
Android and iPhone users on a number of wireless carriers received a notification just after 9:00 p.m. saying "An AMBER Alert has been issued in your area, please check local media."
The message was accompanied by the Emergency Alert System sound.
This came to be because of an agreement between the CTIA-The Wireless Association, the wireless industry, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
If you have a WEA-enabled phone, you are automatically enrolled.
There are three different kinds of alerts:
More information can be found on CTIA's webage, but here are some facts on Wireless Emergency Alerts:
Who sends Wireless Emergency Alerts?
The alerts are initiated by authorized federal, state, local and tribal public safety agencies and aggregated by FEMA. Next, FEMA transmits the messages to the participating wireless carriers. Finally, the wireless carriers broadcast the message to subscribers with WEA-capable phones in the specified geographic zone.
Here is a list of participating carriers:
Is a Wireless Emergency Alert the same as a SMS text message?
No, the Wireless Emergency Alert appears similar to a text message, but uses a different kind of technology to ensure they are delivered immediately and are not subjected to potential congestion (or delays) on wireless networks.
Can I turn off Wireless Emergency Alerts?
Consumers may opt out of Imminent Threat and AMBER alerts. Per the WARN Act of 1996, Congress said that no consumer could opt out of Presidential Alerts.
Will I be charged for Wireless Emergency Alerts?
No, the alerts are free of cost for all subscribers.
(All information from CTIA)
philadelphia, abduction, amber alert, kidnapping, local/state
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Brisk And Cold 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 52 min ago
- Suspects caught on camera prior to car theft
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large 53 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 57 min ago
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Brisk And Cold
50 min ago
- Raising healthy kids: Reducing radiation...
5 min ago
- Truck stuck under RR overpass in Bensalem
43 min ago
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect...
53 min ago