Teen stabbed multiple times in Berks Co. school; suspect arrested
SPRING TWP., Pa. - January 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- A junior high school near Reading, Berks County was evacuated Tuesday morning after a stabbing. Now, one student is hospitalized - another is in police custody.
The stabbing was reported at 8:29 a.m. at Wilson Southern Middle School, located in Spring Township.
Medics transported a 14-year-old male student to the hospital. Authorities say the victim was stabbed three times - twice in the arm and once in the torso. He is currently listed in serious condition, but expected to recover.
Police have recovered the knife and arrested a 14-year-old suspect. He has not been formally charged.
Police said it all began as a dispute between the two teenagers over Facebook. The dispute turned violent when the pair met in person, leaving one of the boys injured, having suffered multiple stab wounds.
13-year-old Yazmen Crespo, a student at Wilson Southern Middle School, witnessed the altercation and spoke exclusively with Action News about the incident.
Crespo says it occurred in a hallway, saying, "I was walking to science class, and I saw two kids, and something happened. The kid screamed and dropped his books and ran the other way. And the other kid ran in the opposite direction. And we walked into science class, and the kid that hurt the kid, his books were lying there and we all were wondering what was happening."
Both the middle school and the adjoining Cornwell Terrace Elementary School went into lockdown.
The lockdown order remained in place until local police announced the suspect had been arrested.
School District officials then cancelled classes for the rest of the day and evacuated the students. School officials along with police worked together to make sure every student from both schools left with a properly identified parent or guardian.
"When you have a building the size of Southern Middle School as well as Cornwell Terrace Elementary School it does take time, and it was compounded by the crime scene that was here," said School Superintendent Dr. Rudy Ruth.
Meantime, Yazmen Crespo says this was an experience she hopes to forget.
"I was terrified, and we were sitting in the lockdown for two hours wondering what was happening," said Yazmen.
School officials say the evacuation process continued until every student was safely with a parent or guardian.
pennsylvania, berks county, reading, stabbing, school, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 25 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 24 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 48 min ago
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 26 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
22 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
24 min ago