NJ police worker accused of post-Sandy theft
TRENTON, N.J. - January 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- New Jersey authorities say a civilian employee of the state police posed as an inspector last year to coerce two men from South Carolina into giving her a generator they were selling in the days after Superstorm Sandy.
Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa says Marcella Friedman faces a theft by deception charge. It stems from an investigation by the state police official corruption bureau and the Division of Criminal Justice's corruption bureau, which will prosecute the case.
The 49-year-old Oaklyn resident allegedly confronted the men on Oct. 31 as they sold generators at a roadside location in Springfield, Burlington County. Friedman, who is communications systems technician, was wearing a field jacket with the state police logo and carrying a handheld police radio.
Friedman allegedly claimed she had authority to regulate vendors and shut down those without a permit. Authorities say she threatened to fine the men and confiscate their merchandise, but then said she would allow them to continue selling generators if they gave her one for free.
The two men gave Friedman an 8,500-watt generator, which authorities say she gave to a relative who then sold it to an unknowing third party.
Friedman was on disability leave at the time and remains on that leave, authorities said. She faces up to five years in prison if convicted, and it was not known if she has retained an attorney.
A phone number for Friedman could not be located Tuesday.
new jersey, hurricane sandy, police, theft, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 2 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Fairy Godmothers make prom dreams come true
40 min ago