Key accuser in Philly church case faces defense
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - January 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Defense lawyers are set to question a man whose rape claims against two Catholic priests and a teacher led to the landmark child-endangerment conviction of a Philadelphia church official.
The 24-year-old policeman's son could be vulnerable on the stand. He has a history of heroin addiction, and has told varying stories about the abuse over the years.
He now says he was high when he gave an early statement to an investigator from the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
Lawyers for the Rev. Charles Engelhardt and ex-teacher Bernard Shero are set to cross-examine him Wednesday morning. The men are charged with sexually assaulting the accuser starting at age 10 in 1999.
Another priest from St. Jerome's Parish in northeast Philadelphia has pleaded guilty and is expected to testify for the prosecution this week.
trial, child abuse, children, philadelphia, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 2 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 22 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 15 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 17 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
13 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
2 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
17 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
22 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos