Vigil to mark anniversary of Joe Paterno's death
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) - January 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A candlelight vigil is being planned to mark the 1-year anniversary of the death of longtime Penn State football coach Joe Paterno.
A group hoping to build a memorial brick walkway in State College plans the vigil for Tuesday. Organizers say they will light 409 candles, one for each of Paterno's victories before 111 were stripped as part of NCAA sanctions in response to the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal.
Sandusky was convicted in June of 45 counts of child sex abuse and is serving a lengthy prison sentence. His arrest tarnished Penn State's storied football program and led to Paterno's firing. Paterno died of lung cancer at age 85.
The group planning the vigil is called Inspiration Way and says it's a tribute group.
joe paterno, pennsylvania state university, pennsylvania, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 19 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 14 min ago
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
19 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
14 min ago
- Police push burning car in New Hampshire
28 min ago