Vigil to mark anniversary of Joe Paterno's death
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) - January 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A candlelight vigil is being planned to mark the 1-year anniversary of the death of longtime Penn State football coach Joe Paterno.
A group hoping to build a memorial brick walkway in State College plans the vigil for Tuesday. Organizers say they will light 409 candles, one for each of Paterno's victories before 111 were stripped as part of NCAA sanctions in response to the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal.
Sandusky was convicted in June of 45 counts of child sex abuse and is serving a lengthy prison sentence. His arrest tarnished Penn State's storied football program and led to Paterno's firing. Paterno died of lung cancer at age 85.
The group planning the vigil is called Inspiration Way and says it's a tribute group.
joe paterno, pennsylvania state university, pennsylvania, local/state
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 52 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 1 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden 29 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 2 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School 53 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
56 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos