Vigil to mark anniversary of Joe Paterno's death
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) - January 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A candlelight vigil is being planned to mark the 1-year anniversary of the death of longtime Penn State football coach Joe Paterno.
A group hoping to build a memorial brick walkway in State College plans the vigil for Tuesday. Organizers say they will light 409 candles, one for each of Paterno's victories before 111 were stripped as part of NCAA sanctions in response to the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal.
Sandusky was convicted in June of 45 counts of child sex abuse and is serving a lengthy prison sentence. His arrest tarnished Penn State's storied football program and led to Paterno's firing. Paterno died of lung cancer at age 85.
The group planning the vigil is called Inspiration Way and says it's a tribute group.
joe paterno, pennsylvania state university, pennsylvania, local/state
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino 4 min ago
- Snow plot overturns on I-95 in Delaware 11 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Video: Swan attacks elderly woman in Berks Co.
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade