Center City bar new home of bocce league
PHILADELPHIA - January 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- You'd be hard-put to name a Philly neighborhood without a bar.
Before Prohibition, the city was home to literally dozens of breweries. And some would tell you it's still the best beer-drinking city in America. But there's more to it than a brew or two, and a recent entry on the sports bar scene literally brings a new game to town.
The Field House Sports and Beer Hall occupies the first floor of the old Reading Terminal. It's a massive center capable of accommodating 650 people at once. Being a sports bar, there are TV's everywhere, including some really big ones.
Dozens of taps feature a rotating selection of craft brews, plus the big national brands you expect. The kitchen produces a range of foods friendly to the beverages and the game action, but with an eye to freshness and quality. Italian-style pork for sandwiches is roasted in-house, and served with sharp provolone cheese and garlicky greens.
One look tells you every pizza is hand-formed. And the nachos are filled with surprises...served with kettle-style potato chips instead of corn chips, and house-made short ribs for the meat.
Despite the attention to detail, menu items are priced affordably. As if all this weren't enough to make The Field House stand out, it has something other sports bars are unlikely to duplicate. The big space makes it possible to have its own sport.
The Field House has an indoor bocce court, and a local professional league is based there. Winter weather usually puts a damper on Italian lawn bowling, but this facility makes it possible to have regular league play.
The whole situation is open and friendly, and players will be happy to discuss what they do and even offer you pointers on your own game.
The Field House is at 1150 Filbert Street, between 12th and 11th Streets right under the Reading Terminal underpass. It's open every day from 11:30am to 2:00am. The kitchen closes nightly at 10:00pm.11:00pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
Discount parking is available and private parties are accommodated. For more information, call 215-629-1520 or access The Field House.
food, philadelphia, local/state
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 3 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more