Eagles fans share their first impressions of Chip Kelly
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - January 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Fans came to Chickie's and Pete's in South Philadelphia for a taste of what the Eagles' new head coach, Chip Kelly, is all about.
It was their first opportunity to listen to Kelly and find out what he has in store for their struggling team.
"I think the initial impression that we had yesterday was that he was very set in his ways," said Jim McCarthy of Charlestown, Maryland. "But he seems to have a lot of flexibility about him, and I like that."
"I like the answer about Nick Foles," said John Persia of Havertown, Pa. "I like Nick Foles and he seems like he wants to work with him. That's good."
But others said it's going to take a lot more than a successful news conference to win over Philadelphia fans.
"You can put on a good front," said Brian Darling of Dover, Delaware, referring to Kelly's news television appearance Thursday. "But, we'll see how it works on the field."
It's a tough town, and some are worried Kelly might have a tough time as a former college coach in the NFL.
But most are excited to see if he can turn things around and turn the Eagles into a winning team.
"I think he's going to have to adjust to what the Eagles players are," said Ed Schearer of Lansdale, Pa., "because he doesn't have the personnel he had in Oregon. So he'll have to adjust to the players he has here."
"It just depends on how the college game is going to translate into the pros, I think," said Bob Schlear, also of Lansdale. "I am a season ticket holder, so I am anxious to see what's going to happen."
philadelphia, philadelphia eagles, chip kelly, local/state, sarah bloomquist
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 55 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete 21 min ago
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Michael Carter-Williams released from hospital
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
17 min ago