Police arrest Delaware man for 6th DUI
REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. - January 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police have arrested a man from Bear after he was found driving under the influence of alcohol for the 6th time early Friday morning.
The incident occurred around 1:15 a.m. when a trooper on routine patrol noticed an SUV driven by 39-year-old Jeffrey W. Barnes stopped at a traffic light on northbound Coastal Highway and John J. Williams Highway in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.
The trooper says Barnes then drove southbound in the northbound lanes, and that's when he began to shadow the vehicle that cross over the concrete median and back into the southbound lanes.
The trooper then turned on his siren and Barnes turned west onto Old Landing Raod and pulled into the Wal-Mart parking lot before coming to a stop.
The suspect then got out of the car and tried to flee but was taken into custody after a short foot pursuit.
Authorities say while Barnes was being investigated for a DUI, it was discovered he had 5 prior DUI convictions.
He's charged with Felony DUI along with various other traffic offenses.
DUI, delaware, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police