Police arrest Delaware man for 6th DUI
REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. - January 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police have arrested a man from Bear after he was found driving under the influence of alcohol for the 6th time early Friday morning.
The incident occurred around 1:15 a.m. when a trooper on routine patrol noticed an SUV driven by 39-year-old Jeffrey W. Barnes stopped at a traffic light on northbound Coastal Highway and John J. Williams Highway in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.
The trooper says Barnes then drove southbound in the northbound lanes, and that's when he began to shadow the vehicle that cross over the concrete median and back into the southbound lanes.
The trooper then turned on his siren and Barnes turned west onto Old Landing Raod and pulled into the Wal-Mart parking lot before coming to a stop.
The suspect then got out of the car and tried to flee but was taken into custody after a short foot pursuit.
Authorities say while Barnes was being investigated for a DUI, it was discovered he had 5 prior DUI convictions.
He's charged with Felony DUI along with various other traffic offenses.
DUI, delaware, local/state
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
- Showers, thunderstorms today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend
- Jose Canseco accused of sexual assault in Vegas
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup 29 min ago
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Finding the perfect bra