Police arrest Delaware man for 6th DUI
REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. - January 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police have arrested a man from Bear after he was found driving under the influence of alcohol for the 6th time early Friday morning.
The incident occurred around 1:15 a.m. when a trooper on routine patrol noticed an SUV driven by 39-year-old Jeffrey W. Barnes stopped at a traffic light on northbound Coastal Highway and John J. Williams Highway in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.
The trooper says Barnes then drove southbound in the northbound lanes, and that's when he began to shadow the vehicle that cross over the concrete median and back into the southbound lanes.
The trooper then turned on his siren and Barnes turned west onto Old Landing Raod and pulled into the Wal-Mart parking lot before coming to a stop.
The suspect then got out of the car and tried to flee but was taken into custody after a short foot pursuit.
Authorities say while Barnes was being investigated for a DUI, it was discovered he had 5 prior DUI convictions.
He's charged with Felony DUI along with various other traffic offenses.
DUI, delaware, local/state
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?