NJ Eagles fan a season ticket holder for 71 years
COLLINGSWOOD, N.J. - January 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Most Eagles fans are loyal to their hometown team. But one South Jersey man takes that loyalty to entirely different level.
He's had season tickets for 71 years!
We knew right away which house on Eldridge Avenue was Steve Borkowski's. It was the one with the big Eagles banner on the front door.
He was anxious to show me all his memorabilia and share his stories about the team and the players.
"I was a good friend of Jerome Brown," he said.
The 86-year-old has actually been going to Eagles games for 75 years. He watched the team pair up against the College All-Stars at Temple Stadium in 1938 and the Detroit Lions in 1940.
"I'm still a die-hard Eagles fan, and I will be until the day I leave this earth," he told me. "You can believe it!"
Three quarters of a century later, Borkowski still makes almost every game. And he still has one of the best seats, even now at the Link: Section 109, Row 3, Seat number 1.
He also has some strong opinions about the recent change in coaches.
"I don't think Andy Reid was strict enough," he said. "And another thing: there was a lot on his mind about his sons."
But Borkowski has no doubts about Chip Kelly and the future of the Eagles under his leadership.
"He will turn this club around. It may not take him the first year, but I guarantee you it ain't going to take him fourteen years to get a Super Bowl here and win one," he said.
"And I hope I'm around when this happens."
new jersey, philadelphia eagles, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing
- A Nice Stretch 37 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- United Airlines outage delays some travelers at PHL 6 min ago
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Collapse committee to hold first meeting today
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7