Philadelphia woman unexpectedly delivers twins
NORTH PHILADELPHIA -January 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A young North Philadelphia woman got the surprise of her life this week when, without warning, she gave birth to twin boys.
The babies were not only 3 weeks early, they were also delivered in a most unexpected place.
Ta'Shawn weighed 5 lbs. 8 ounces and Ta'Sheem weighed 5 lbs. 5 ounces."
Ta'Shawn is ten minutes older arriving unexpectedly early Sunday morning.
"No contracrtions earlier that day, no contractions or nothing" said new mother Lisa Knighten. "I was playing cards with my mom, then I went to sleep. I woke up and my water broke."
21-year-old Lisa Knighten, asked her mom to call 9-1-1 then, she says, "I came in here to use the little girl's room and I was surprised, I had my baby."
Not surprisingly, she was a little nervous. "It did make me nervous. I didn't know what to do."
A security guard at the building where Lisa lives, responded quickly to a call that a woman was giving birth.
"I seen the baby coming out," Antoine Davis told Action News, "So my first instinct was to take my sweater off and wrap the baby up."
Seconds after the ambulance arrived, Lisa's second twin was born.
"He came out in the ambulance," Lisa said, but the baby's umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck.
"We had the mom, actually the grandmom.., flipping out...the mother was like, 'I don't hear him crying.... Don't hear him crying," the medics said during a joint interview with Action News.
The baby was given oxygen and began to cry.
"Everybody was happy at that point..."
The twins' father was working the night shift and missed all the excitement.
"I got a text message on my phone... I was in like... I was in shock!"
Even more startling was what he learned three days later about the guard who helped deliver his first newborn."
"Antoine is a good friend of mine. We went to school together!"
The twins' one year old brother, Tasill is a little jealous of his siblings, but not their 5-year-old brother, Tony.
"I kissed them!" he said.
Mom is happy the ordeal is over, and so is her security guard hero.
"Hopefully I don't experience this again, because that was crazy!"
philadelphia, childbirth, children, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 55 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 54 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif. 19 min ago
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 35 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan...
43 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
36 min ago