Victim ID'd in fatal I-95 hit-and-run, driver located
PHILADELPHIA - January 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have released the name of the victim killed in a hit-and-run crash in Northeast Philadelphia Friday night.
Investigators say a big rig struck 65-year-old Gerald L. Martin of Philadelphia on northbound I-95 near the exit ramp for Allegheny Avenue around 11:00 p.m.
Police believe Martin was hit while walking on the shoulder. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Pennsylvania State Police investigators, with the assistance of the Lumberton Police Department, located the tractor-trailer involved in the crash.
The vehicle was located in New Jersey and towed back to Pennsylvania for further investigation.
Police have also located the driver of the tractor-trailer, identified as Ward Bennett III of Lumberton, NJ.The investigation is continuing.
Anyone with information is asked to call the PA State Police at 215-560-6200
pedestrian struck, hit and run, philadelphia, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ