NJ man gets 30 years for killing ex-girlfriend
TRENTON, N.J. - January 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- A central New Jersey man who fatally stabbed his ex-girlfriend and seriously injured her new beau has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.
Matthew Ramos of Trenton must serve nearly 26 years of the term imposed Friday before he becomes eligible for parole. He had pleaded guilty last September to aggravated manslaughter and aggravated assault charges.
Mercer County prosecutors say the 55-year-old Ramos stabbed Denise Leonard 18 times during the attack inside her home in April 2009. That came after he had beaten her new boyfriend and repeatedly stabbed him in the head and chest.
The boyfriend has since recovered from his wounds. He was among several relatives and friends of Leonard who attended the sentencing.
new jersey, trenton, mercer county, local/state
- 2 dead in Pennsauken doctor's office shooting ID'd
- Stormy to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Chrysler recalls 2.7 million Jeeps
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- 2 sought in Rehoboth Beach credit card fraud
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos