NJ man gets 30 years for killing ex-girlfriend
TRENTON, N.J. - January 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- A central New Jersey man who fatally stabbed his ex-girlfriend and seriously injured her new beau has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.
Matthew Ramos of Trenton must serve nearly 26 years of the term imposed Friday before he becomes eligible for parole. He had pleaded guilty last September to aggravated manslaughter and aggravated assault charges.
Mercer County prosecutors say the 55-year-old Ramos stabbed Denise Leonard 18 times during the attack inside her home in April 2009. That came after he had beaten her new boyfriend and repeatedly stabbed him in the head and chest.
The boyfriend has since recovered from his wounds. He was among several relatives and friends of Leonard who attended the sentencing.
new jersey, trenton, mercer county, local/state
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub
- Wintry Weekend 44 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Wintry Weekend
44 min ago