NJ man gets 30 years for killing ex-girlfriend
TRENTON, N.J. - January 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- A central New Jersey man who fatally stabbed his ex-girlfriend and seriously injured her new beau has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.
Matthew Ramos of Trenton must serve nearly 26 years of the term imposed Friday before he becomes eligible for parole. He had pleaded guilty last September to aggravated manslaughter and aggravated assault charges.
Mercer County prosecutors say the 55-year-old Ramos stabbed Denise Leonard 18 times during the attack inside her home in April 2009. That came after he had beaten her new boyfriend and repeatedly stabbed him in the head and chest.
The boyfriend has since recovered from his wounds. He was among several relatives and friends of Leonard who attended the sentencing.
new jersey, trenton, mercer county, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos