NJ man gets 30 years for killing ex-girlfriend
TRENTON, N.J. - January 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- A central New Jersey man who fatally stabbed his ex-girlfriend and seriously injured her new beau has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.
Matthew Ramos of Trenton must serve nearly 26 years of the term imposed Friday before he becomes eligible for parole. He had pleaded guilty last September to aggravated manslaughter and aggravated assault charges.
Mercer County prosecutors say the 55-year-old Ramos stabbed Denise Leonard 18 times during the attack inside her home in April 2009. That came after he had beaten her new boyfriend and repeatedly stabbed him in the head and chest.
The boyfriend has since recovered from his wounds. He was among several relatives and friends of Leonard who attended the sentencing.
new jersey, trenton, mercer county, local/state
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Video: Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash