NJ man gets 30 years for killing ex-girlfriend
TRENTON, N.J. - January 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- A central New Jersey man who fatally stabbed his ex-girlfriend and seriously injured her new beau has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.
Matthew Ramos of Trenton must serve nearly 26 years of the term imposed Friday before he becomes eligible for parole. He had pleaded guilty last September to aggravated manslaughter and aggravated assault charges.
Mercer County prosecutors say the 55-year-old Ramos stabbed Denise Leonard 18 times during the attack inside her home in April 2009. That came after he had beaten her new boyfriend and repeatedly stabbed him in the head and chest.
The boyfriend has since recovered from his wounds. He was among several relatives and friends of Leonard who attended the sentencing.
new jersey, trenton, mercer county, local/state
- SEPTA unveils contingency plan; union says strike unlikely 1 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 25 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia 22 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant 43 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
25 min ago