1 year later, soldiers in NJ return home
TRENTON, N.J. - January 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Excitement and anticipation filled the air at the West Trenton Armory, as families awaited the homecoming of the 117th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion.
The 68 New Jersey National Guardsmen - led by Madison's Daddy Lieutenant Colonel Paul Rumberger - served in Afghanistan for nearly a year.
During that year, little Adom Toussaint was born.
Angela Cappetti also graduated high school and started college.
Finally, the soldiers arrived and the official ceremony got under way.
Then, the moment everyone had longed for and Madison got to hug her daddy.
Was dad feeling equally as excited?
"It's really good. It's touching, I'm almost speechless at this point," said Lieutenant Colonel Rumberger.
And Adom's daddy got to hold him for the first time since a short two-week leave when he was born in July.
What does he hope to do now?
"Absolutely nothing, absolutely nothing. Just try to get back to the normal way as soon as possible," said Lieutenant Belinsky Toussaint.
On Chief Warrant Officer Dominick Cappetti's to-do list? See his daughter's dorm room at Drexel and get a good meal.
"I've got lasagna, meatballs and chicken potpie at home and that's just to start with," said Bernadette Cappetti.
Meanwhile all of the soldiers have to report for debriefing on Tuesday and then it's finally family time.
new jersey, trenton, local/state, amy buckman
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 20 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow 10 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens 6 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 5 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 13 min ago
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
10 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
20 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
6 min ago