1 year later, soldiers in NJ return home
TRENTON, N.J. - January 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Excitement and anticipation filled the air at the West Trenton Armory, as families awaited the homecoming of the 117th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion.
The 68 New Jersey National Guardsmen - led by Madison's Daddy Lieutenant Colonel Paul Rumberger - served in Afghanistan for nearly a year.
During that year, little Adom Toussaint was born.
Angela Cappetti also graduated high school and started college.
Finally, the soldiers arrived and the official ceremony got under way.
Then, the moment everyone had longed for and Madison got to hug her daddy.
Was dad feeling equally as excited?
"It's really good. It's touching, I'm almost speechless at this point," said Lieutenant Colonel Rumberger.
And Adom's daddy got to hold him for the first time since a short two-week leave when he was born in July.
What does he hope to do now?
"Absolutely nothing, absolutely nothing. Just try to get back to the normal way as soon as possible," said Lieutenant Belinsky Toussaint.
On Chief Warrant Officer Dominick Cappetti's to-do list? See his daughter's dorm room at Drexel and get a good meal.
"I've got lasagna, meatballs and chicken potpie at home and that's just to start with," said Bernadette Cappetti.
Meanwhile all of the soldiers have to report for debriefing on Tuesday and then it's finally family time.
new jersey, trenton, local/state, amy buckman
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide 56 min ago
- Collapse committee to hold first meeting today 34 min ago
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE 29 min ago
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7
- Special investigative committee building...
35 min ago