1 year later, soldiers in NJ return home
TRENTON, N.J. - January 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Excitement and anticipation filled the air at the West Trenton Armory, as families awaited the homecoming of the 117th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion.
The 68 New Jersey National Guardsmen - led by Madison's Daddy Lieutenant Colonel Paul Rumberger - served in Afghanistan for nearly a year.
During that year, little Adom Toussaint was born.
Angela Cappetti also graduated high school and started college.
Finally, the soldiers arrived and the official ceremony got under way.
Then, the moment everyone had longed for and Madison got to hug her daddy.
Was dad feeling equally as excited?
"It's really good. It's touching, I'm almost speechless at this point," said Lieutenant Colonel Rumberger.
And Adom's daddy got to hold him for the first time since a short two-week leave when he was born in July.
What does he hope to do now?
"Absolutely nothing, absolutely nothing. Just try to get back to the normal way as soon as possible," said Lieutenant Belinsky Toussaint.
On Chief Warrant Officer Dominick Cappetti's to-do list? See his daughter's dorm room at Drexel and get a good meal.
"I've got lasagna, meatballs and chicken potpie at home and that's just to start with," said Bernadette Cappetti.
Meanwhile all of the soldiers have to report for debriefing on Tuesday and then it's finally family time.
new jersey, trenton, local/state, amy buckman
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 36 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean 24 min ago
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue 26 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 2 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City...
26 min ago
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
36 min ago