1 year later, soldiers in NJ return home
TRENTON, N.J. - January 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Excitement and anticipation filled the air at the West Trenton Armory, as families awaited the homecoming of the 117th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion.
The 68 New Jersey National Guardsmen - led by Madison's Daddy Lieutenant Colonel Paul Rumberger - served in Afghanistan for nearly a year.
During that year, little Adom Toussaint was born.
Angela Cappetti also graduated high school and started college.
Finally, the soldiers arrived and the official ceremony got under way.
Then, the moment everyone had longed for and Madison got to hug her daddy.
Was dad feeling equally as excited?
"It's really good. It's touching, I'm almost speechless at this point," said Lieutenant Colonel Rumberger.
And Adom's daddy got to hold him for the first time since a short two-week leave when he was born in July.
What does he hope to do now?
"Absolutely nothing, absolutely nothing. Just try to get back to the normal way as soon as possible," said Lieutenant Belinsky Toussaint.
On Chief Warrant Officer Dominick Cappetti's to-do list? See his daughter's dorm room at Drexel and get a good meal.
"I've got lasagna, meatballs and chicken potpie at home and that's just to start with," said Bernadette Cappetti.
Meanwhile all of the soldiers have to report for debriefing on Tuesday and then it's finally family time.
new jersey, trenton, local/state, amy buckman
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies 7 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 4 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage 59 min ago
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
4 min ago