Stolen Michael Jackson shoes returned to owner
CENTER CITY - January 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Action News was right outside the hotel when the owner of those stolen shoes, signed by Michael Jackson, received them back.
Martino Cartier was waiting for the return of his stolen shoes but not just any shoes.
"These are Michael Jackson signed loafers," said Cartier.
That's right - ones worn and autographed by the late King of Pop Michael Jackson. The shoes, worth $50,000, were set to be auctioned off for charity to help women and girls battling cancer.
Cartier is a famous South Jersey hairstylist, salon owner and the founder of Friends are by Your Side, which provides wigs to cancer patients and grants wishes to young girls fighting the disease.
Saturday night at the Loews Hotel in Center City, the annual "Hair of the Dog" event was held to raise money for the charity and someone swiped the shoes.
Approximately 2,000 people were in attendance.
Organizers thought they were dealing with a smooth criminal but not so much.
"Apparently someone picked the shoes up and they were drunk. They went outside, they went to find a ride to the after party, they hopped in a limo with a bunch of girls and they were so drunk they forgot them," said Cartier.
"Hair of the Dog" organizer Dan Cronin says someone else found the shoes in the limo and contacted him after the story appeared on 6abc.com Sunday afternoon.
"We had a very successful event here last night and this was really weighing on us heavily," said Cronin.
Just after the story with Cartier aired on Action News at 6:00 p.m., he got a call with the good news.
"Thank you Action News! God bless America and I'm so grateful that more people now will know about Friends are by Your Side - all because this happened," said Cartier.
Meanwhile Cartier blames the security at Loews but the hotel wouldn't comment.
Police were looking into the theft but Cartier says he no longer wants to press charges.
philadelphia, center city, michael jackson, theft, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ