Whale euthanized after washing ashore in NJ
EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. - January 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials say a pygmy sperm whale was euthanized after it washed up on a beach in southern New Jersey.
The Press of Atlantic City reports the whale was alive but sickly and injured when it was found Monday morning on Malibu Beach in Egg Harbor Township, between Ocean City and Longport.
Staffers with the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine soon got the mammal and took it to their facility in Brigantine.
Center Director Bob Schoelkopf told the newspaper that the mature, 10-foot animal should normally be feeding on squid in the deep ocean this time of year. He suspects the whale had heart problems that caused it be lethargic and float to shore, something he said is common in this species.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City
new jersey, atlantic county, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Record Warmth! 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book
- Record Warmth!
30 min ago