Whale euthanized after washing ashore in NJ
EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. - January 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials say a pygmy sperm whale was euthanized after it washed up on a beach in southern New Jersey.
The Press of Atlantic City reports the whale was alive but sickly and injured when it was found Monday morning on Malibu Beach in Egg Harbor Township, between Ocean City and Longport.
Staffers with the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine soon got the mammal and took it to their facility in Brigantine.
Center Director Bob Schoelkopf told the newspaper that the mature, 10-foot animal should normally be feeding on squid in the deep ocean this time of year. He suspects the whale had heart problems that caused it be lethargic and float to shore, something he said is common in this species.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City
new jersey, atlantic county, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 46 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids