Whale euthanized after washing ashore in NJ
EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. - January 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials say a pygmy sperm whale was euthanized after it washed up on a beach in southern New Jersey.
The Press of Atlantic City reports the whale was alive but sickly and injured when it was found Monday morning on Malibu Beach in Egg Harbor Township, between Ocean City and Longport.
Staffers with the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine soon got the mammal and took it to their facility in Brigantine.
Center Director Bob Schoelkopf told the newspaper that the mature, 10-foot animal should normally be feeding on squid in the deep ocean this time of year. He suspects the whale had heart problems that caused it be lethargic and float to shore, something he said is common in this species.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City
new jersey, atlantic county, local/state
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash 58 min ago
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
58 min ago