Icy conditions cause crashes, road closures
CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa. - January 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- The wintry weather created treacherous driving conditions as black ice sent a number of vehicles slipping and sliding.
Due to the icy conditions, the Delaware River Port Authority shut down all lanes of the Walt Whitman Bridge for a short while as they salted the roadway Monday night.
The closure caused a major traffic backup.
Speed on all DRPA bridges was reduced to 25mph.
At around 9:30 p.m. Pennsylvania State Police shut down all traffic on the northbound lanes of the I-476 just north of the Schuylkill Expressway.
Police say icy conditions on the bridge over the Schuylkill River prompted the closure as officials were trying to ward off accidents.
It was a different story on Route 202 in Montgomery and Chester counties.
The northbound side of 202 at Chesterbrook Boulevard to Devon Park Drive was closed for about an hour because of a multi-vehicle crash.
At least 8 cars were caught up in a collision - sliding, skidding, and crashing into one another and barriers - on the south side of Route 202, a couple miles away from the I-76 interchange and King of Prussia.
On I-476 near the Radnor Township exit, another 8 cars spun out on the highway around 11:15 p.m. due to icy roads.
Action News spoke with one driver who was heading from Downingtown back home to Fairmount in the city when he lost control of his car.
"Before I even realized it, I was on black ice; my car started to veer to the right. I tried to pump the brakes to slow down. My car hit the car next to me and it looks like that car hit the car behind him which had a trailer on it. Fortunately, it seems that everybody is okay," Tom McKee of Fairmount said.
The conditions appear to be worse on the overpasses so state police and PennDOT are warning drivers to exercise caution overnight.
No major injuries have been reported in any of the crashes.
pennsylvania, ice storm, snow, severe weather, accident, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing 54 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 52 min ago
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom...
52 min ago