Arctic blast causes cold temps and icy roads
PHILADELPHIA - January 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Folks in the Delaware and Lehigh Valleys were advised to use caution when going outdoors Tuesday morning.
An Arctic blast sent frigid temps and slick icy roads in many neighborhoods.
I-476 southbound, near the Radnor Township exit, was at a standstill around 11:15 p.m. Monday. Several lanes closed after more than a half dozen cars spun out of control.
Some people were treated at the scene, but no serious injuries were reported. Officials blamed the slippery road conditions.
The weather did take a turn last night. From 6th Street in South Philadelphia to Lancaster Avenue in Wilmington, a blast of snow and plunging temperatures caused icy and perilous conditions on roads and sidewalks.
The Action Cam spotted salt trucks out near Route 70 and Kings Highway in Cherry Hill making the rounds as the conditions quickly got worse.
In Berwyn, Chester County, on the southbound side of Route 202, at least eight cars were caught up in a slip and slide mess.One driver described how he was on his way home to Fairmount from Downingtown and the streets seemed fine, when he lost control of his car.
"Before I even realized it, I was on black ice and my car veered to the right...my car hit the car next to me and that car the one behind him," said Tom McKee of Fairmount.
No major injuries have been reported in any of the crashes.
accident, philadelphia, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 49 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
3 min ago