Arctic blast causes cold temps and icy roads
PHILADELPHIA - January 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Folks in the Delaware and Lehigh Valleys were advised to use caution when going outdoors Tuesday morning.
An Arctic blast sent frigid temps and slick icy roads in many neighborhoods.
I-476 southbound, near the Radnor Township exit, was at a standstill around 11:15 p.m. Monday. Several lanes closed after more than a half dozen cars spun out of control.
Some people were treated at the scene, but no serious injuries were reported. Officials blamed the slippery road conditions.
The weather did take a turn last night. From 6th Street in South Philadelphia to Lancaster Avenue in Wilmington, a blast of snow and plunging temperatures caused icy and perilous conditions on roads and sidewalks.
The Action Cam spotted salt trucks out near Route 70 and Kings Highway in Cherry Hill making the rounds as the conditions quickly got worse.
In Berwyn, Chester County, on the southbound side of Route 202, at least eight cars were caught up in a slip and slide mess.One driver described how he was on his way home to Fairmount from Downingtown and the streets seemed fine, when he lost control of his car.
"Before I even realized it, I was on black ice and my car veered to the right...my car hit the car next to me and that car the one behind him," said Tom McKee of Fairmount.
No major injuries have been reported in any of the crashes.
accident, philadelphia, local/state
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes 57 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos