Arctic blast causes cold temps and icy roads
PHILADELPHIA - January 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Folks in the Delaware and Lehigh Valleys were advised to use caution when going outdoors Tuesday morning.
An Arctic blast sent frigid temps and slick icy roads in many neighborhoods.
I-476 southbound, near the Radnor Township exit, was at a standstill around 11:15 p.m. Monday. Several lanes closed after more than a half dozen cars spun out of control.
Some people were treated at the scene, but no serious injuries were reported. Officials blamed the slippery road conditions.
The weather did take a turn last night. From 6th Street in South Philadelphia to Lancaster Avenue in Wilmington, a blast of snow and plunging temperatures caused icy and perilous conditions on roads and sidewalks.
The Action Cam spotted salt trucks out near Route 70 and Kings Highway in Cherry Hill making the rounds as the conditions quickly got worse.
In Berwyn, Chester County, on the southbound side of Route 202, at least eight cars were caught up in a slip and slide mess.One driver described how he was on his way home to Fairmount from Downingtown and the streets seemed fine, when he lost control of his car.
"Before I even realized it, I was on black ice and my car veered to the right...my car hit the car next to me and that car the one behind him," said Tom McKee of Fairmount.
No major injuries have been reported in any of the crashes.
accident, philadelphia, local/state
- Ocean County forest fire fully contained
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of New Jersey forest fires
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze 23 min ago
- Warning about dating apps after violent crimes
- Eye doctor, daughter post bail after pot bust
- Wedding crashers apologize to bride
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- 1 dead after motorcycle, vehicle collide in Wilmington
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening
5 min ago