Girl Scouts robbed at Chester Co. supermarket
TREDYFFRIN TWP., Pa. - January 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating the strong armed robbery of a Girl Scout troop at a Chester County supermarket this past weekend.
It was approximately 5:00 p.m. on Sunday when police responded to the Pathmark supermarket located at 450 W. Swedesford Road in the Berwyn section of Tredyffrin Township.
Investigators say a man approached a group of Girl Scouts from Troop 4305, who had a table set up for cookie sales.
The man reached into a donation container and took money being collected for United States Military Service People.
The man then forcibly reached into a cash box containing money from cookie sales, stealing approximately $20. Police say the quick-thinking Girl Scouts closed the box, preventing the man from getting more money.
The suspect then fled to the back of the building where he got into a blue vehicle and drove off.
Shoppers at the Pathmark were shocked upon learning of this crime.
"That's horrible. The poor little girls trying to make a few bucks," said Bob Smith of Berwyn.
"That's sick. That's sick. To pick children in general is just sick," said Ellen Marquis of Berwyn.
The suspect is described as a white male, 20 to 30 years-of-age, medium height and weight, wearing a dark colored head covering, dark colored shirt and light colored pants.
If you have any information as to the identity or whereabouts of the man in question, you are urged to contact Tredyffrin Township Police at 610-647-1440.
In a written statement, Natalye Paquin, CEO of the Girl Scouts of Eastern Pennsylvania, said
"We are shocked and saddened by the news of the robbery that occurred at one of our cookie booths. First and foremost, our concern is the health and safety of our Girl Scouts and we are thankful that no one was injured during this incident.
What we do want to call attention to is our gratitude for the outpouring of support we have received from the community in the wake of this incident. We are so grateful for the generosity and concern of our friends and neighbors during this time."
chester county, pennsylvania, robbery, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 14 min ago
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies