Girl Scouts robbed at Chester Co. supermarket
TREDYFFRIN TWP., Pa. - January 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating the strong armed robbery of a Girl Scout troop at a Chester County supermarket this past weekend.
It was approximately 5:00 p.m. on Sunday when police responded to the Pathmark supermarket located at 450 W. Swedesford Road in the Berwyn section of Tredyffrin Township.
Investigators say a man approached a group of Girl Scouts from Troop 4305, who had a table set up for cookie sales.
The man reached into a donation container and took money being collected for United States Military Service People.
The man then forcibly reached into a cash box containing money from cookie sales, stealing approximately $20. Police say the quick-thinking Girl Scouts closed the box, preventing the man from getting more money.
The suspect then fled to the back of the building where he got into a blue vehicle and drove off.
Shoppers at the Pathmark were shocked upon learning of this crime.
"That's horrible. The poor little girls trying to make a few bucks," said Bob Smith of Berwyn.
"That's sick. That's sick. To pick children in general is just sick," said Ellen Marquis of Berwyn.
The suspect is described as a white male, 20 to 30 years-of-age, medium height and weight, wearing a dark colored head covering, dark colored shirt and light colored pants.
If you have any information as to the identity or whereabouts of the man in question, you are urged to contact Tredyffrin Township Police at 610-647-1440.
In a written statement, Natalye Paquin, CEO of the Girl Scouts of Eastern Pennsylvania, said
"We are shocked and saddened by the news of the robbery that occurred at one of our cookie booths. First and foremost, our concern is the health and safety of our Girl Scouts and we are thankful that no one was injured during this incident.
What we do want to call attention to is our gratitude for the outpouring of support we have received from the community in the wake of this incident. We are so grateful for the generosity and concern of our friends and neighbors during this time."
chester county, pennsylvania, robbery, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 10 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 16 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
28 min ago
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
10 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
16 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos