Attempted murder charge added in face slashing case
PHILADELPHIA - January 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- The man accused of slashing the face of a woman during a robbery last November in South Philadelphia is now facing attempted murder charges.
A court hearing was held Tuesday morning for the suspect, 30-year-old Cory Harley of the 600 block of South Street.
In addition to aggravated assault, robbery, theft and possession of an instrument of crime, prosecutors added attempted murder charges to the case this morning.
The victim, 23-year-old Ashley Hackett, testified against Harley at this morning's hearing.
In the end, the judge ordered Harley to be held for trial on all charges.
The robbery happened at 4:05 a.m. back on November 11th along the 700 block of South 9th Street.
Police say Harley approached Hackett from behind and struck her in the face with a knife, causing a large cut.
Harley then grabbed Hackett's purse and fled north on 9th Street, then east on Fitzwater Street.
The purse was later found in a small alley at 800 Kenilworth Street.
Investigators released surveillance video of the suspect after the attack.
Harley's arrest was announced on January 8th. Detectives say they brought Harley in for questioning after receiving a tip call several days before. Following his interview, police recovered the knife he allegedly used and the clothing he wore in a sewer near Harley's home.
Hackett described the feelings she had when police called, informing her of the arrest, saying, "It was overwhelming. I was with family and I couldn't believe it actually happened."
That wound needed 100 stitches to be closed. Those stitches are now out, but the images remain fresh in her mind.
"I'm battling a struggle with patience. Healing doesn't move as fast as you want it too," Hackett said.
Hackett, and her family, thanked police. But police are also thanking her for taking her case to the public to get answers.
"I didn't want someone else to get hurt and I'm really glad it's over and he's not on the street anymore," Hackett said.
Police say Harley is no stranger to them and they are now investigating if he is responsible for other similar crimes.
philadelphia, south philadelphia, robbery, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 40 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 3 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 45 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 4 min ago
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
40 min ago