Extension cords eyed in deadly NJ fire
ROCKAWAY TOWNSHIP, N.J. - January 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- The improper use of extension cords is one of the factors believed to be responsible for a house fire that killed a mother and her teenage son in Rockaway Township.
Authorities haven't determined the exact cause of the Jan. 18 blaze in the home on Green Pond Road. They say it does not appear suspicious.
The Morris County Prosecutor's Office says the extension cords were in the area where the fire began. Investigators say cold weather, high winds and an insufficient number of smoke detectors also played roles.
Fifty-nine-year-old Pamela Decker and her 17-year-old son, Daniel, died in the fire. Her husband Brent, who was the boy's father, survived.
new jersey, fire, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Photos: Pictures from the SXSW festival crash
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images 4 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 32 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region 47 min ago
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting 1 min ago
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad 42 min ago
- Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
42 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region
47 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
32 min ago