Person of interest in custody for Center City doctor murder
CENTER CITY - January 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Action News has learned a person of interest has been taken into police custody in connection the murder of a doctor in Center City.
No further information has been released on this person of interest.
Earlier in the day, community organizations raised $35,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for the murder of Melissa Ketunuti.
The Citizens Crime Commission is administering an $15,000 reward to be added to the existing $20,000 reward offered by Philadelphia Police.
The Citizen's Crime Commission reward includes $4,000 posted by Councilman Kenyatta Johnson's Office, $1,000 posted by Parkway Corporation CEO Joseph Zuritski, $1,250 from Larry Collins of Collins' Shop Rite and $1,250 from Jeff Brown of Brown's Shop Rite. In addition, $5,000 is being offered by the University of Pennsylvania and Penn Medicine, and the Children Hospital of Philadelphia has posted $2,500.
Ketunuti's body was found bound up and burning in the basement of her home on the 1700 block of Naudain Street on Monday afternoon. Police said she appeared to have been strangled with a belt.
Ketunuti, who lived alone, was a doctor taking part in a pediatric fellowship at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Police said there was no sign of sexual assault. Police questioned Ketunuti's boyfriend on Tuesday morning and then brought him to the house that afternoon. However, police say, at this point, he is not a suspect.
Investigators were re-tracing the victim's steps from Monday morning, saying she can be seen on surveillance video and investigators have several receipts from that time.
Anyone with information is asked to call Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), send a text message to PPD TIP (773847) or send a tip through phillypolice.com.
philadelphia, center city, fire, body found, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ