Philly-area man sentenced in alleged suicide pact
MEDIA, Pa. (AP) - January 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia area man has been sentenced to 25 to 30 years in prison for strangling his wife, a death he says was part of a suicide pact.
In December, Gurinder Singh pleaded guilty to third-degree murder in the February death of his wife, Jaswinder Kaur, at their Upper Darby home. He says he was the survivor of a suicide pact.
Authorities say the couple had scarves tied tightly around their necks when found by their son.
The Delaware County Daily Times reports the 53-year-old Singh was sentenced Wednesday. Singh said at the hearing that he does not believe he killed his wife and that he still loves her and his children.
Prosecutors, however, argued Singh was an abusive husband who threatened to kill his wife days before.
suicide, sentencing, philadelphia, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 19 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ