Philly-area man sentenced in alleged suicide pact
MEDIA, Pa. (AP) - January 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia area man has been sentenced to 25 to 30 years in prison for strangling his wife, a death he says was part of a suicide pact.
In December, Gurinder Singh pleaded guilty to third-degree murder in the February death of his wife, Jaswinder Kaur, at their Upper Darby home. He says he was the survivor of a suicide pact.
Authorities say the couple had scarves tied tightly around their necks when found by their son.
The Delaware County Daily Times reports the 53-year-old Singh was sentenced Wednesday. Singh said at the hearing that he does not believe he killed his wife and that he still loves her and his children.
Prosecutors, however, argued Singh was an abusive husband who threatened to kill his wife days before.
suicide, sentencing, philadelphia, local/state
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?