Greater Philadelphia Diaper Bank
PHILADELPHIA - January 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- There are food banks throughout the region, generally not places where people in need get food, but places where agencies who serve those people find resources to assist individuals. But especially in a tight economy, other needs become evident, and a former school teacher from Bucks County was inspired to help.
Pat Kennedy heard about a diaper bank in New Haven, Connecticut and thought she might be able to do something like that. Just as the New Haven effort began with one woman working out of her home, Kennedy go started with her own car, house and cell phone.
The demand for service soon rocketed. Today, Kennedy uses additional storage space at a Northeast Philadelphia church, but distribution is still done by herself, aided by friends and other volunteers. They still use personal vehicles but hope to acquire a van.
Demand began in her Bucks County neighborhood but now stretches from the suburbs to the shore. And demand is no longer exclusively from others with babies. About ten per cent of requests come from people in need of adult diapers.
Kennedy gets donations from diaper manufacturers, cash from corporations like Wal-Mart, and monetary and time assistance from interested volunteers. Today, there are almost 150 diaper banks from coast to coast and the movement continues to grow.
Individuals in need are referred to member agencies...27 at last count...which offer other social services as well as baby care supplies.
You can find a list of those agencies as well as information on how to donate on the Diaper Bank website.
children, philadelphia, local/state
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police