Help the U.S. Marshals track down "Most Wanted" (PHOTOS)
PHILADELPHIA - January 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Federal investigators are crediting 6abc.com readers for tracking down several of their "Most Wanted" fugitives.
Two weeks ago, we posted a photo gallery of suspects the U.S. Marshals were working to hunt down, and the tips came pouring in.
"They are offenders most likely to continue offending and preying on society," said Jim Burke of the U.S. Marshals, describing the fugitives who made the "Most Wanted" list.
So, back on January 6th, we partnered with the U.S. Marshals and posted their photos and descriptions on 6abc.com.
"When the gallery first went up, the phone was ringing non-stop," said Burke. "We probably received 50 or so tips in the first week."
Since then five men have been captured thanks directly to tips from readers of 6abc.com.
They are Franklin Matias, who was wanted for child sex assault; Nathaniel Dill, who was wanted for attempted murder; Malik Cameron, who was wanted for a shooting; Steven Barrick, who was wanted for indecent exposure; and Thomas Hazell, who was wanted for armed robbery.
Action News was there for Cameron's arrest in the Logan section of Philadelphia, but he didn't go willingly. The Marshals say he tried to escape through a window, but was quickly captured.
Tipsters are eligible for rewards, the Marshals said, at an average of $1,000.
"The cash is paid out quickly and upon arrest," Burke said.
The U.S. Marshals arrest about 2,000 fugitives every year. The FBI and Philadelphia Police Department work with U.S. Marshals on their outstanding warrants.
The 6abc.com photo gallery continues to be updated.
Meanwhile, the Marshals hope that if cash doesn't persuade you to call in a tip, you conscience does.
"I would hope the motivation is to better their community. They are the people who have the most to gain and the most to lose," said Burke.
Anyone with information on any of the fugitives is asked to call the U.S. Marshal Tip Line at 1-866-865-TIPS (8477).
philadelphia, homicide, sex assault, shooting, local/state, annie mccormick
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)