Family mourns Temple student killed on New Year's
TIOGA-NICETOWN - January 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Friends and family of a murdered Temple University student gathered tonight for a candlelight vigil in his memory.
Stephen Kyree Johnson was killed in a barrage of gunfire during a New Year's party in Tioga-Nicetown.
At 17th and Venango Thursday night there were prayers for peace, for an end to gun violence, for some way to make sense of it all.
"I lost my only child. My only child. When is it going to stop? I am in so much pain. I am in pain for all these children in this neighborhood and my neighborhood. I'm in pain for the mothers," the victim's mother Denine Johnson said.
Johnson's friend Kyle Morris was hit by six bullets and survived, as did a third victim who suffered minor injuries.
Police arrested 22-year-old Lawrence Jeffries of Glenside for the shooting.
philadelphia, nicetown, homicide, tioga, temple university, north philadelphia, local/state
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 27 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 26 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
27 min ago