Family mourns Temple student killed on New Year's
TIOGA-NICETOWN - January 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Friends and family of a murdered Temple University student gathered tonight for a candlelight vigil in his memory.
Stephen Kyree Johnson was killed in a barrage of gunfire during a New Year's party in Tioga-Nicetown.
At 17th and Venango Thursday night there were prayers for peace, for an end to gun violence, for some way to make sense of it all.
"I lost my only child. My only child. When is it going to stop? I am in so much pain. I am in pain for all these children in this neighborhood and my neighborhood. I'm in pain for the mothers," the victim's mother Denine Johnson said.
Johnson's friend Kyle Morris was hit by six bullets and survived, as did a third victim who suffered minor injuries.
Police arrested 22-year-old Lawrence Jeffries of Glenside for the shooting.
philadelphia, nicetown, homicide, tioga, temple university, north philadelphia, local/state
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado 55 min ago
- Soupy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- Police: Driver under influence crashes into fire dept.
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
55 min ago