Family mourns Temple student killed on New Year's
TIOGA-NICETOWN - January 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Friends and family of a murdered Temple University student gathered tonight for a candlelight vigil in his memory.
Stephen Kyree Johnson was killed in a barrage of gunfire during a New Year's party in Tioga-Nicetown.
At 17th and Venango Thursday night there were prayers for peace, for an end to gun violence, for some way to make sense of it all.
"I lost my only child. My only child. When is it going to stop? I am in so much pain. I am in pain for all these children in this neighborhood and my neighborhood. I'm in pain for the mothers," the victim's mother Denine Johnson said.
Johnson's friend Kyle Morris was hit by six bullets and survived, as did a third victim who suffered minor injuries.
Police arrested 22-year-old Lawrence Jeffries of Glenside for the shooting.
philadelphia, nicetown, homicide, tioga, temple university, north philadelphia, local/state
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 5 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 8 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 49 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 46 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 52 min ago
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 28 min ago
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
39 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos