Del. man killed in crash after police stop
NEW CASTLE, CO., Del. - January 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police are investigating a crash that killed a man after a police chase in New Castle.
Investigators say a state trooper pulled over 58-year-old Edwin Halko of Newark about 12:45 a.m. Saturday after observing his vehicle commit traffic violations.
The trooper believed Halko was driving drunk and asked Halko to get out of the car. But police say Halko refused. Instead, he put his car in reverse before speeding out of a parking lot. The trooper followed with lights and siren but wasn't able to catch up.
Police say Halko drove onto westbound US 40, lost control and struck a utility pole on the driver's side of the car. Halko was ejected from the vehicle and was later pronounced dead.
No one else was in the vehicle.
accident, new castle county, delaware, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos